Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gripe Gripe Gripe

I want to complain about something I saw on TV. Actually it more about something I did not hear. I was watching a program about the cosmos that I found very interesting. But who ever mixed the audio was either a rank amateur. The background music was as loud as the moderator voice. When the music swelled it would in fact drown out the voice over entirely.
The reason it is called background music is it belongs in the BACKGROUND! Not as loud or louder as the voice over work. Background music is use to set the tone of a scene not over whelm the scene. Background music should be 25% or up to 85% as the narrator. This should include the loudest point of the music track.
Also, where was the director and producer of the show. If you are in that kind of position of command over a show and you have your name attached to the program I think you would want to preview the program before it airs.

No comments: